I'm preparing a new feature for this site and in that process I started thinking about what it is that Professional Land Surveyors want. As a profession we cover a lot of the territory ranging from being employees, or managers, to business owners.
With that in mind, I kept thinking about what I, as a Professional Land Surveyor and business person, am looking for. What do I want? I came up with a few ideas, which are listed below, but what I'm really interested in is what you want.
A few ideas about what I think Professional Land Surveyors want:
- More financial security. Professional Land Surveyors want to be more profitable and earn more money.
- More time. Professional Land Surveyors want to get their work done faster and have more time to spend on building their businesses and, especially, more time to spend with their families.
- Easier and more reliable equipment, software and systems. Too often all three of these areas concentrate so intensely on the task at hand, often exclusively from the creators perspective and ease, that they become another boulder for us to push up the hill.
- Less worry. Professional Land Surveyors want to be able to sleep better at night and not worry so much about their business, employees, liability and futures.
- More job and professional satisfaction. To be happy and successful in your job as a professional you need to seek out new challenges and opportunities for professional growth. I see this as one of the major obstacles to growing the profession of land surveying. We expect to little from those working in the land surveying industry, from field surveyors, office personnel and licensed Professional Land Surveyors. We also do not provide enough areas for growth. This is why the profession is graying.
Do you agree? Are there other issues that should be added to this list? Please leave a comment and let us know what you want.